Al's CCENT Practice Test #1
Revised June 27, 2018
(If you find any errors, let me know!)
1. Routing occurs at which OSI layer?
- Data link
2. When using the router CLI, what hot-key sequence moves the cursor to the beginning of the current line?
- <CTRL> A
- <CTRL> B
- <CTRL> E
- <ESC> E
3. Which command displays a router's active configuration?
4. What bit pattern is contained in the first octet of a class C IP address?
- show active-config
- show current-config
- show running-config
- show startup-config
5. The OSI term for a transport layer PDU is?
6. When using the router CLI, what hot-key sequence moves the cursor to the end of the current line?
- <CTRL> A
- <CTRL> E
- <CTRL> X
- <ESC> B
7. RIP is considered a "distance-vector" routing protocols because it?
- Uses hop count as its metric.
- Uses triggered updates.
- Is RFC-compliant.
- Periodically floods its routing table.
8. A UDP header contains which of the following fields?
- Sequence Number
- Port Number
- Acknowledgment Number
- Window Size
9. Which sequence of commands assign the IP address 220.127.116.11/16 to a router's FastEthernet 0/2 interface?
- Router1(config)#interface fa0/2
Router1(config-if)#ip address 18.104.22.168/16
- Router1(config)#interface fast0/2
Router1(config-if)#ip address 22.214.171.124 255.255.0.0
- Router1(config)#interface FastEthernet 0/2
Router1(config-if)#ip address 126.96.36.199 mask 255.255.0.0
- Router1(config)#interface Fast 0/2
Router1(config-if)#address 188.8.131.52 mask /16
10. A class B network with a subnet mask of 255.255.254.0 can support?
- 254 subnets, 254 hosts per subnet
- 128 subnets, 510 hosts per subnet
- 512 subnets, 128 hosts per subnet
- A 255.255.254.0 mask cannot be used with a class B network.
11. How many hosts can be placed on the 172.16.74.208/28 subnet?
12. What would be the result of performing a "reload" on a router that has its configuration register set to "0x2100"?
- The router would boot from Flash.
- The router would boot the mini-IOS from ROM.
- The router would boot the ROM monitor.
- The router would boot from NVRAM.
13. Given a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248, to which subnet does the host address 192.168.217.45 belong?
14. Which command initiates a file copy from a router's active configuration to a TFTP server?
- copy file server
- copy run tftp
- copy tftp running-config
- copy running-configuration tftp-server
15. What is the length of an Ethernet MAC address?
- 32 bits
- 32 bytes
- 48 bits
- 48 bytes
16. Which command displays the elapsed time since a router's last restart?
- show time
- show version
- show clock
- show reload
17. How many collision and broadcast domains exist within an eight port Ethernet switch that has all ports on VLAN 1?
- 1 collision, 8 broadcast
- 2 collision, 6 broadcast
- 4 collision, 4 broadcast
- 8 collision, 1 broadcast
18. Which progression is followed during router startup?
- POST, find/load startup config, find/load IOS
- Find/load IOS, find/load startup config, POST
- POST, find/load IOS, find/load startup config
- Find/load startup config, POST, find/load IOS
19. What is the purpose of a TCP destination port number?
- To specify the application that should receive the data.
- To specify the application that sent the data.
- To specify the network layer protocol in use.
- To specify the IP address of the destination.
20. On a Class B network with a "/26" mask, how many subnets and how many hosts per subnet can be supported?
- 1024 subnets, 64 hosts per subnet
- 1022 subnets, 62 hosts per subnet
- 1024 subnets, 62 hosts per subnet
- It is impossible to tell from the information given.
21. If six VLANs are configured on a twenty-four port Ethernet switch, how many collision and broadcast domains exist within the switch?
- Six collision, twenty-four broadcast
- Six collision, six broadcast
- Twenty-four collision, twenty-four broadcast
- Twenty-four collision, six broadcast
22. What is the length of an IP version 4 address?
- 32 bits
- 32 bytes
- 48 bits
- 48 bytes
23. What type of cable is typically used to connect a host's NIC to an Ethernet switch port?
- Category 5 "straight-through"
- Category 5 "crossover"
- Category 5 "rolled"
- Category 5 "host"
24. What is the purpose of the "Window" field in a TCP header?
- To acknowledge a particular sequence number.
- To specify the number of TCP segments that can be transmitted without receiving an acknowledgement.
- To request that a segment be retransmitted.
- To allow the NSA to observe your data in accordance with the USA Patriot Act of 2001 (Public Law 107-56).
- To specify the number of bytes of data that can be sent without receiving an acknowledgement.
25. Which of the following are IPv4 IGP's?
26. What is indicated by an amber LED above a switch interface?
- That the interface's green LED has burned out.
- That the interface is an IEEE 802.1Q VLAN trunk.
- That the LED will soon turn red, so the packets should slow down.
- That the interface is administratively disabled.
- That the interface is active, but blocking user data for some reason.
27. Which of the following are delay-sensitive applications that use UDP?
28. In which format are MAC addresses commonly displayed?
- None of these, they use the metric system.
29. When using the Cisco IOS CLI, which key sequence redisplays the previous command?
- <CTRL> A
- <ESC> B
- <CTRL> P
- <ESC> P
- <CTRL> N
30. Which layer of the TCP/IP model is responsible for bit encoding?
- Network Access
31. What is the metric used by RIPv2?
- Autonomous System Number
- A composite of bandwidth and delay
32. What is the maximum distance allowed for a 100Base-TX segment?
- 328 feet
- 100 kilometers
- 100 furlongs
- 100 parsecs
33. What is the definition of "MTU"?
- Mainframe Terminal Unit - The politically correct name for a "dumb terminal"
- Minimum TCP Unit - the smallest TCP segment that will not result in a frame of less than 64 bytes.
- Maximum Transmission Unit - the largest packet that can fit in a legally-sized frame.
- Matador Trampling Unit - the quantity by which rodeo bulls are measured.
34. Which Cisco IOS command displays the status of all router interfaces?
- show router interface status
- show interfaces
- show status
- display ip interface
35. What is the difference between a "frame" and a "cell"?
- A frame is a layer-two PDU, a cell is a layer-three PDU.
- A bad frame is confined to a cell until it is placed on parole.
- A cell is a fixed-length frame.
- There are always 53 ATM cells to an Ethernet frame.
36. What of the following does RIPv2 offer that RIPv1 does not?
- Triggered incremental updates to speed convergence.
- Multicast updates to reduce CPU impact on non-router hosts.
- Optional MD5 authentication.
- Split-horizon with poison-reverse to reduce the chance of routing loops.
- Classless routing that supports VLSM and discontiguous networks.
37. Where is the POST code located?
- On a TFTP server
- Across the isle from the General Mills code.
38. What happens when a file is transferred into RAM using "copy tftp running-config"?
- The contents of the file are appended to the running configuration.
- The contents of the file completely overwrite the running configuration.
- The contents of the file are merged into the running configuration.
- The contents of the file are merged into NVRAM.
39. What is the purpose of the "clock rate" command?
- To set the available bandwidth for routing protocols.
- To set the data rate of an asynchronous serial interface.
- To set the OSPF cost of an interface.
- To set the data rate of a DCE interface.
40. Which of the following are legal subnet masks?
41. Which key sequence suspends a Telnet session?
- <CTRL> <ALT> <DEL>
- <CTRL> <SHIFT> <6> x
- <ESC> <DEL> <HOME> x
- <BREAK> <HOME> <CAPSLOCK>
42. What is the function of DHCP?
- To automatically assign IP addresses to hosts.
- To automatically assign MAC addresses to hosts.
- To automatically assign names to hosts.
- To convert an IPv4 address into an IPv6 address.
43. Which of the following items might a DHCP server supply to a client?
- Subnet mask
- DNS server address
- IP address
- MAC address
- Default gateway
- All of the above.
44. Which of the following are characteristics of a computer network?
45. Which subnets mask is equivalent to "/30"?
46. Which subnet mask allows for at least 63 hosts per subnet and at least 87 subnets on a class B network?
47. Which command terminates an inbound Telnet session?
- Router>clear line 2
- Router>disconnect line 2
- Router#clear line 2
- Router#disconnect line 2
- Router(config)#clear line 2
48. Which of the following are computer network topologies?
49. What is "DoS"?
- Department of Security
- Denial of Service
- Dial-on Switching
- Double or Single
50. Which of the following is a strong password?
1. C 11. A 21. D 31. B 41. B
2. A 12. C 22. A 32. A 42. A
3. C 13. D 23. A 33. C 43. ABCE
4. A 14. B 24. E 34. B 44. BDFGH
5. C 15. C 25. ABCD 35. C 45. D
6. B 16. B 26. E 36. BCE 46. B
7. D 17. D 27. BD 37. D 47. C
8. B 18. C 28. C 38. C 48. ACEG
9. B 19. A 29. C 39. D 49. B
10. B 20. C 30. D 40. ABD 50. C
4. Since 11000000 is 192, and 1101111 is 223, 110xxxxx covers the range of class "C" addresses.
5. "PDU" is "Protocol Data Unit".
7. The routing table is a list of destinations and distances, and is thus a multi-valued variable (a "vector", in
10. With a class B network, this mask specifies seven subnet bits (128 subnets) and nine host bits (510 hosts/subnet).
11. A "/28" mask specifies four host bits, and two to the fourth minus two is 14.
12. The right-most hex digit (least-significant four bits) of the config register is the "boot field". Setting it to
zero specifies that the router start ROMMON.
13. With a 255.255.255.248 mask (/29), the subnets increment by eight (0, 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48 ...), so the host is
on the "40" subnet.
17. Each port on a switch is a collision domain, and each VLAN is a broadcast domain.
20. The default mask for a class B is /16, so a /26 mask specifies ten subnet bits (1024 subnets), and six host bits
(62 hosts per subnet).
21. Each port on a switch is a collision domain, and each VLAN is a broadcast domain.
29. <CTRL> P (for "previous") is the same as the "up arrow".
30. The "Network Access" layer of the TCP/IP model corresponds to layers one and two of the OSI model. Bit encoding
is a Layer-1 (Physical layer) function.
32. 328 feet is approximately equal to 100 meters.
39. The "clock rate" command is not normally used on a production router.
40. The ones in a subnet mask must be "contiguous" (form an unbroken string) starting from the left.
45. A "225" is not a "255"!
46. Sixty-three subnets requires at least six subnet bits, and 87 hosts/subnet requires at least seven host bits.
Answer "A" has too few host bits, "C", "D" and "E" have too few subnet bits.
47. You have to be in privileged mode to execute the "clear line" command.
50. Strong passwords contain mixed-case letters, along with numbers and special symbols.
Copyright © 2018
All rights reserved.